Do you sometimes feel disconnected from your body? Me too. Even though I have been teaching embodiment practices for more than 25 years, I still become dissociated from being in my physical form, especially when I am overscheduled and experiencing lots of stress.
But what I do know is that being connected in my body allows me to experience pleasure, and that pleasure is a key essential essence of the feminine. And while most of us understand in our minds what pleasure is, so many of us are lacking pleasure in our everyday lives.
Dr. Christiane Northrup, a pioneer in the field of women’s health says that the deliberate pursuit of pleasure requires great courage. Why? Because it is so easy to follow the well worn path of being armoured, self-sacrifice and shutting down.
Bringing more pleasure into your life asks that you move a little more out of your zone of comfort, to make yourself a priority and to give yourself permission to say YES to yourself and your deepest desires.
So today I want to give you an easy (and totally doable!) opportunity to tap into the pleasure that is waiting to be discovered in your body. In fact, this experience is always available to us, we just have to pay attention.
I’ve created a 10 minute Open to Pleasure Meditation just for you. You can do it sitting or lying down, all that is important is that you actually do it!
To access the meditation, just click HERE.
One of the gifts of this human body is to delight in the many exquisite sensations available to us. I believe connecting to pleasure is one of our birthrights. I invite you to take a few moments in your day today to reconnect with your pleasure potential and notice what happens.
This month in the Embracing Shakti Temple our featured embodiment of the Divine Feminine is Coventina, the Celtic Goddess of purification, wells and new beginnings. Although it seems much knowledge has been lost about this goddess, what we do know is that it is said she protected sacred water sources and enriched water with clarity, virtue and the capacity to answer our heart’s desires. There is a water temple dedicated to Coventina at Carrawburgh on the Northumbrian Moors near Hadrian’s Wall, dated at around CE 130. More than 13,000 coins were discovered in this well when it was excavated a century ago.
Because of her relationship to water, Coventina can swim into the layers of consciousness and help with inspiration, psychic abilities, dreams, and intentions. She helps us wash away what no longer serves us and helps provide a spiritual baptism to purify and cleanse and relieve us of worries and judgments. From this place, we are able to step into new beginnings.
If you would like to evoke the energy of Coventina to connect to her magic and power, here are a few suggestions:
- Ever made a wish by throwing a coin in a fountain? This may have come from worshiping Coventina. Most of us don’t have a fountain nearby to wish on, so if you don’t, create a water space on your altar, and before you make an offering of coin or jewelry, silently ask Coventina to grant your desire.
- Start your year off right with a purification bath! Fill your tub, add your favourite flowers and herbs and light some candles and incense. Invoke Coventina to purify your body to start 2020 off fresh. Repeat whenever you feel you need a new start!
- Lots of people begin the new year with detoxing diets … but something often overlooked is detoxing of the mind. Can you make it an entire month with positive thoughts and speech? If a month seems too daunting, start with a day (or even an hour!), then try a week and build your way up.
Saturday is the Winter Solstice, also known as Yule. On this day the tilt of the Earth’s semi-axis is furthest away from the Sun, creating the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. This is a sacred day that predates Christmas by thousands of years, and is the day where we welcome the merging of the darkest time of the year and the emergence into the newborn light. The word “solstice” comes from the Latin solstitium, meaning “point at which the sun stands still.”
So often we forget the pause, the empty space between tasks, or even the empty space between thoughts. But on Saturday, when the sun stands still, we are reminded to not overlook the pause, but to savour it.
Deep in your consciousness may be an ancestral memory, a part of your spiritual DNA, that still senses the cosmic significance of this day.
And I’d love to share a Winter Solstice ritual that you will help you connect with that memory.
- Gather with your family in your home. Everyone should have a flashlight and a smaller candle. Light a large, central candle that everyone can stand around.
- Go through your house and turn off all the lights, so that there is darkness everywhere except for your candle.
- Gather back to your central candle and then blow it out.
- Pause in the darkness and reflect on the stillness and the celestial pause happening today. Allow yourself to feel how darkness is important for our growth, our evolution. You may wish to share what has been in the shadows for you over this last 6 month period. True consciousness comes from embracing both the darkness and the light.
- When complete, re-light your central candle. Sense into the spark of illumination that is expanding around you.
- Everyone, one at a time, should light their smaller candle from the central candle. Share an intention or desire that you wish to manifest over this next 6 month period.
- Celebrate with some food and music!
On the Solstice the mystical forces of transformation are deeply present. Taking time for ritual, however simple or short can be a powerful way to receive the gifts this sacred day offers.
Today’s newsletter is short. The truth is, I’m pretty exhausted. It’s been a challenging few days – late last week my mother tripped and fell, cracking her pelvis in two places. She is in the hospital recovering and my dad has been home alone and not able to drive. So I’m visiting for a few days to help figure out next steps and support them wherever I can. So many lessons about patience, change, compassion and letting go.
I’m so grateful that I have my practice to support me through the waves of difficulty. Remembering to breathe consciously. Meditating each morning. Being sure to move my body, especially when I sense contraction and armouring creeping in. Visualizing and inviting the healing that is needed right now for everyone.
So on this last full moon of 2019, I invite you to pause and reflect on all the ways your practice supports you during challenges. Can you intentionally call in more of what you need and at the same time, release the habits that keep you stuck? You can keep it super simple: light a candle, center yourself with a few breaths and speak words that both call in and release. And then finally, trust you will receive exactly what you need.
This morning during my morning practice by the river, I was sensing into the power of my energy field as I was connecting to everything around me. In that moment I felt so joyful, grateful and centred. I felt deep within me that this was my natural state of being. It was a moment of true bliss.
And I would like to share this practice with you so that you can also drop into the presence of your heart today.
Begin by giving yourself space from all distractions. Stand up and shake your body for a minute letting of any tension or holding patterns accumulated in your day. Take a few deep breaths in and sighs out.
Connect with your heart centre. In Sanskrit, this is called Hridayakash, the space of heart consciousness. From this space send down your energy into the Earth Star Chakra below your feet , and then send it right into the heart of the Earth, into the centre of Mama Gaia.
When this connection feels present, come back to Hridayakash and send your energy upwards into your Soul Star Chakra above your head, and then continue upwards into the sky and cosmos above. Right to the heart of the Sun.
Allow yourself to feel completely aligned and anchored between Earth and Sky/Sun. And sense that you are a pillar of light between these points. Your energy body strengthening and building like a broadband cable, so that you can receive the energy transmissions from above and below with more ease and grace.
Inhale Spirit. Exhale Matter. Inhale Light. Exhale Earth. Inhale Shiva (the masculine). Exhale Shakti (the feminine). Inhale Vision. Exhale Manifestation. Inhale Sun/Sky. Exhale Earth.
And then just pause, as the pillar of light, the Divine incarnation of you, and simply allow yourself to be.