This week I am in Joshua Tree, California attending the 2019 Global Inspiration Conference (GIC) – a gathering for breathworkers from around the world. There are more than 25 countries represented and 250 incredible breathwork facilitators sharing their teachings, ideas and gifts. Pure magic.
I wanted to share some words from a master teacher Jessica Dibb that touched my heart and moved me deeply. This, to me, expresses the essence of the breath so beautifully.
Every cell of this body
Every feeling of this heart
Every thought of this mind
Every atom of this soul
Every action of this lifetime
This sacred Breath.
May you be inspired to breathe consciously today.
The longest day of the year fast approaches, this Friday, June 21st.
The word solstice comes from two Latin words meaning ‘sun’ and ‘stoppage’, this will be the day that the sun stops moving North and reaches its highest point of the year.
The Solstice represents a time of newness, nourishment and sustenance – an opportunity to turn our attention inward and cast light on the shadows.
Cultures all over the world and throughout history, have celebrated this day. They observed that the expansion of consciousness opened through meditation, practice and ceremony on the Solstice is magnified in a very powerful way. Taking pause on this special day can be a very potent experience.
There are many ways to celebrate this special day, here are a few suggestions:
- Be intentional and turn off all your devices for some part of the day. This helps you align into the frequency of your chosen ritual.
- Prepare a home altar with colours of the sun – brilliant golds, red and oranges. Use candles, flowers, food and anything that brings thoughts of brightness and radiance into your being.
- In a journal or in meditation, reflect upon your journey over the last 6 months. What has transpired for you in the first half of the journey around the sun this year?
- Place a jar or bowl of water out in the sun early on Friday to be energized with the Solstice sun. Drink in the later day to receive the vitality of the most important of cosmic entities.
- Write a list of your intentions for the next 6 months. Bury these intentions in your garden to grow with you over this next cycle of light.
Most importantly, play, have fun and remember all that you’ve generated this year & honour what has burst into creation!
If you have a particular ceremony or practice that you use to celebrate the Solstice – please share it on my Facebook Page. I would love to know how you honour this special day.
Today I want to say thank you. Thank you for being here and being a part of my community. When we come together, even virtually, we create the space and support to grow and evolve. Collectively we raise our vibration so that together we can contribute to the raising the consciousness of all. In Sanskrit the word kula means community of the heart, an intentional tribe, clan or family. Every one of you here certainly feels like my kula.
Over the past several months, my team and I have been working hard behind the scenes on a new website and some exciting offerings that will be launched soon. A few of the (free!) things we have in the works include:
- The Shakti Oracle (this summer)
- Prioritizing Pleasure Webinar (this summer)
- Embracing Shakti Movement ~ 13 Day Journey (starts September 10th)
And so a couple of quick things in anticipation of lots of new and exciting content coming your way…
1. Please make sure that my emails are not sitting all sad and lonely in your spam or promotions folder. Just drag over this email into your main folder and voila, you will find them easily when they arrive.
2. If there is anything I can do to make your experience and our community better, please let me know and email me.
And to show my gratitude for letting me show up in your inbox each week, please enjoy this short video where I lead you through the Deerga Pranayama. Watch it and breathe with me – I guarantee you are going to feel amazing!
Around the world our Muslim friends have been celebrating Laylat al-Qadr. Considered to be the holiest night of the year, it is traditionally celebrated on the 27th day of Ramadan. Known as the “Night of Power,“ “Night of Decree,” “Night of Destiny,” or “Night of Measures,” it commemorates when the Quran (the Islamic holy book) was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad.
The Prophet Muhammad retreated from his daily life on a regular basis to meditate on the higher truths within the human existence. After fifteen years of this practice, he received his first call of revelation from the angel Gabriel, beginning with “Read! In the Name of your Lord, Who has created (all that exists).”
It is said that on this night, God gives abundant blessing while also showing mercy to practicing Muslims, who actively seek His forgiveness and engage in various acts of worship. Praying for salvation and blessings (known as Ehyaa), Muslims believe that past sins are forgiven if the person prays throughout the night. Additionally, it is believed that angels descend to Earth during this time to perform every errand decreed by God. Muslims also believe that this evening marks their fate in the following year.
Laylat al-Qadr is a time of community, where everyone comes together to worship, pray and celebrate. It is also a time of acts of good will and charity, particularly towards the poor and unfortunate. This holy night is celebrated by millions of Muslims around the globe and is quoted in scripture as being “better than a thousand months”.
So, tell me, my Muslim friends, I would love to know what this special evening means to you and how you celebrate it with the ones you love. What are you asking for this year? Drop me an email back and let me know!
A couple of weeks ago I sent out an email called The Fundamental Practice – which speaks to the art of slowing down. I’m curious if that newsletter resonated with you? Have you been able to be a little more purposeful in these past several days about pausing and just being in the moment?
Maybe you find that difficult to do. Maybe it is your intention, but the next thing you know the whole day has flown by and each moment was jam packed. Happens to me all the time.
So I am going share a little secret that helps me. And you need just 3 things:
- a moment of your time
- a pen
- several sticky notes
This is what you do, write the word BREATHE on a bunch of your sticky notes. Then I want you to put one on your computer, one on your bathroom mirror, one on your coffee machine, one in your car. Put one wherever you are regularly in your day.
And when you see this note, start to train yourself to take one conscious breath. 2 breaths. 3 breaths.
That is all it takes, 3 conscious breaths to slow down the sympathetic nervous system. In less than 20 seconds you can drop into a sense of calmness and presence.
Try it and notice if your capacity to slow down, even just 5% more in your day starts to happen. Take some pictures of your sticky notes and post them on my Facebook page. I guarantee the effect will be nothing short of magic.
In two days, the Full Moon in Scorpio will descend upon us. With this passionate and emotional water sign in control, you’ll probably experience some really deep feelings. The scorpion is an independent and deep thinker who is unafraid to blaze their own trail. They will kill themselves before being killed by another. If that doesn’t spell fearlessness, I don’t know what does!
To help you make this most of this Full Moon, I have provided a simple ritual that will help get you past your own fears!
SCORPIO FULL MOON ~ FEAR RELEASING RITUAL
· 5 crystals of your choice
· Smudge stick – I like sage for this one
· Pen and paper
· Incense or aromatherapy diffuser (optional)
1. Begin your ritual by cleansing your space, self and crystals with your smudge stick. Recite a mantra or prayer of your choosing that speaks to how you are cleansing your space with light and loving energy.
2. Light your incense or put on your diffuser to set a relaxing ambiance and feel free to also put on some calming music.
3. Grab your pen and paper and at the top of the page write “My greatest fears are…” then begin writing whatever comes to mind. Dig deep and get it all out. No fear is too big or too small. Release it all out onto the paper.
4. Take some deep breaths and a moment to check in with yourself. Be ok with the thoughts and feelings that may have arisen and remember to be gentle with yourself.
5. Lay on the floor or bed in a comfortable position. Take your crystals and rub them with your hands to generate some heat and energy. Place the first crystal on your heart center, the second just below your belly button, the third over your third eye (middle of forehead) and keep the remaining two in your hands.
6. Close your eyes and take some deep breaths to settle your mind. Then bring your awareness to each crystal, one by one. Feel the crystal and see its energy in your minds eye, while thanking it for being a part of your healing.
7. Bring your attention to the crystal on your third eye and gently repeat (but you can also write your own): “I am opening. I am surrendering. I am accepting the flow of my life. I know I am always Divinely supported. I know I carry the wisdom inside. I know that I am always guided by myself and by the world around me. I am on the right track. I am on the right track. Everything is working out perfectly.”
8. Now move to your heart center and repeat (or use your own): “I surrender, I will no longer fight the change or circumstances of my life. I will accept wholeheartedly my life and all that makes me happy and uncomfortable and everything in between. I surrender to all of it and know that I am loved. I love myself. I love my life. I love the opportunities I have been given to transform.”
9. Finally, bring your awareness to you the crystal on your stomach and repeat (again, feel free to use your own): “I love myself; I love myself. I know I am strong. I know I can get through anything. I no longer have to pressure myself. I no longer have to be perfect for I am perfect just the way I am. I forgive myself. I accept myself just as I am and I know that I always have the power to create what I desire.”
10. Rest in this position for a moment and when you are ready, get your pen and a new piece of paper and write down “My Third Eye Crystal wants me to know this…” and write whatever thoughts or feelings come to mind. You can also repeat this process for your Heart and Solar Plexus crystals too.
11. Take your “fear” piece of paper, look back over what you wrote and see if any new thoughts or feelings have risen. Now, rip the paper as a way to release your fears.
12. To finish this ritual, discard the ripped paper. You may want to keep your “crystal” paper somewhere safe. If you have found the power of your crystals too intense, you may want to close things out by smudging yourself a final time.
I hope this ritual aids you during the Full Moon in Scorpio! Drop me a line and let me know if it helped curb some of the more intense emotions that many of us will probably be feeling. Until next time, beautiful friends!
Are you someone who is super busy, working, creating, being on and running from here to there? I’m guessing yes. In my world, time often feels like it is sped up and that there is so much to do all the time. Sound familiar?
But here is what I know. In order for you to truly connect with yourself and your essence, there has to be a willingness to slow down.
Slowing down is hard. We resist it. We often actually keep ourselves busy on purpose. Why?
In my experience, the reason we don’t like to slow down is that we actually start to feel things and recognize where we are out of balance. Where we are out of integrity. Where we are not in our centre,. Where we do things that don’t feel aligned. We start to feel the places where we experience shame. That we are disconnected from. That we judge.
It all comes up.
So that is why we keep busy – to escape feeling all of these things.
But as you and I both know, the reality is that if we don’t slow down, we can’t grow, we can’t evolve as a humans. We will never bloom into our full potential unless we are intentional about meet ourselves exactly where we are. And to do this, the basic fundamental practice is to slow down.
Right now, take a deep breath in and slowly exhale out. When you slow down your breathing, you relax the central nervous system and begin to change your brain wave state. You activate the parasympathetic nervous system which sends a message to your being that it is ok to rest. Ok to let go. Ok to open. Ok to receive.
Take a few more deep breaths – right into your belly. What are you experiencing? Can you sense a willingness to drop in and feel more connected to the world? To surrender into this moment into something much greater than you and your busy-ness? How does that feel? The present moment is the only moment we can truly be alive. It is your presence that is the greatest gift to humanity – not what you do but who you are.
I hope you can feel it – the magnificence of you simply being.
It’s May Day! Also known as Beltane, this Gaelic festival marks the halfway point between the Spring Equinox and the Summer Solstice. Originally celebrated to protect cattle, crops, and people; special bonfires were lit and said to have protective powers through their flames, smoke and ash. Like a mass smudging, people and their cattle would walk around the fire or sometimes leap over the flames and embers.
Modern versions of Beltane still include the bonfire to be a key part of the celebration but central themes tend to significantly focus on life, fertility and growth. Other customs include decorating the “May Bush” with bright yellow flowers of the season and dancing around the Maypole.
Beltane is a great time for bringing intentions to life! One thing you can do to celebrate this year is to create a wish box charm.
· A small cardboard box (shoe boxes are great)
· Rose petals
· Sunflower and/or poppy seeds
· A piece of willow or birch bark, an acorn or leaves
· Something that represents your wish/intention
Start by writing your wishes/intentions on a piece of paper, while doing so, visualize them manifesting into reality. You can get extra creative by decorating your box with symbols such as the triple moon, pentacles, hearts … or whatever you’re feeling.
Poke several holes in the lid, as this will help your plants to grow. Next, take your box and put some earth into it. Then add a layer of your paper wishes with the bark/acorn and “wish representation” and then cover with another layer of earth. Now mix your rose petals with your seeds and scatter them on the top. Cover with a final layer of earth and place the lid back onto the box.
The best time to plant your wish box is after a fresh rainfall, but if you’re experiencing a dry season, just make sure to give your planting area a good watering the night before. Dig a hole 2 inches deeper than your wish box and lower it carefully into the hole while concentrating on your intention. Imagine your wish growing with the flowers as they reach skyward. As you cover your box with earth, say: “Dream that lies within the earth awaken now. Hope that sleeps awaken now. The stars await as so do I. Grow true, grow strong, toward the sky.”
If you don’t have a garden, you can also plant this in a pot.
I’d love to hear how you and your loved ones celebrate Beltane. Send me a message and let me know about your yearly traditions!
Passover, the annual Jewish celebration of freedom, ends on Friday. The Passover story is of a people liberated from slavery more than 3,000 years ago. And while it is a time of celebration with family, it is also a time to question and contemplate what currently holds us personally in bondage.
Today I would like to share a few Passover questions (inspired by Rabbi S. Buxbaum) you might feel called to reflect upon. Regardless of your religion or spiritual beliefs, these questions can be a potent entry point for some deep personal exploration.
- Has anything ever happened to you which seemed bitter at the time but later turned out to be sweet?
- How have the hardships in your life helped you become a better person?
- In your day-to-day life, do you really love what you do or are you more like a captive to aspects of your life (i.e., work)?
- What is holding you back the most?
- What are the gifts in your life that make it all worth it?
- If you could fully express gratitude to someone in your past who really made a difference in your life, who would it be?
I’d also like to share a traditional Passover recipe with you, one of my favourite seder dishes since childhood, Charoset. This sweet, fruity dish holds a special, symbolic place as its colour and texture are meant to recall the mortar that the Jews used to bond bricks while enslaved in Egypt. It also reminds us to always look for the sweetness in life.
Charoset is so simple to make and especially delicious the next day after the flavours have soaked into the apples. Mix all ingredients well in a bowl. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator overnight. Traditionally served with Mazos, but I like it just out of the bowl on its own.
- 3 firm apples chopped finely or shredded
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 TBS honey
- 6 chopped dates or a handful of raisins
- 1/2 cup good red wine
- 1 TBS lemon juice
Our life may be full of moments of real and perceived bondage. In those moments, may we all have the opportunity to pause, feel into the sweetness that life also gifts us and allow ourselves to be reminded of the lessons, consciousness and transformation that is waiting to be revealed.
On Friday we are coming into another Full Moon in Libra ~ and this one seems so especially auspicious, I just had to provide you some insight.
This Full Moon in Libra will boost the intimacy in all of your relationships, and ask of you to deepen in trust, honesty, and authenticity through embodying it. The Full Moon of April 19th, 2019 will encourage us to repair suffering relationships and to give be more present for our loved ones. If you are in a relationship and have things that you need to talk about with your partner, now is the good time to do so.
Releasing and letting go during the Full Moon will give you a freeing energy. What a relief it is to send your intention to the universe completed and free of any blocks. Believe that it is in motion and the universe is doing what is for the good of your intention.
Here’s a Full Moon Ritual you can use to release YOUR patterns and beliefs in relationships that don’t serve, and reflect on how you can embody more trust, appreciation and gratitude in all of your relationships. I guarantee you can expect more abundance, love, and good energy simply through this ritual.
FULL MOON – DEEPENED CONNECTIONS RITUAL
You will need:
- Candles & Incense
- Altar Space
- Pen & Paper
- Smudge. Some suggestions include copal, sage, myrrh, tobacco
- Crystal (one you feel comfortable releasing)
- String/Thread, stick, and several rocks
1. Cleanse yourself, your altar/space, and chosen crystal with smudge along with lighting candles and incense.
2. Tie your thread/string around your stick, this becomes an emblem of yourself.
3. Now tie the same string around each individual rock that represents an important person in your immediate circle.
4. As you make the connection between yourself (the stick) and others (the rocks) reflect on your gratitude for that person in your life, the role they play, and the mirror they are for you. Feel into the energetic strength of that string, that connection.
- Is it strong or weak?
- Does it need more love or presence?
- Have you been neglecting that connection?
- Have you felt neglected by that connection?
- Where could you better embody what you desire to experience in that connection?
5. Now, on a piece of paper, write down the desired outcomes you want in these relationships. Do you want to be a better partner to your spouse, do you desire to better support your family member, or provide a better sounding board to your best friend? Fold this paper and place it on your altar.
6. Finally, take a crystal and while holding it, allow everything you are ready to release from your relationships currently (such as old negative beliefs, people, or experiences) to be absorbed into the crystal.
7. Once finished, take this crystal outside and giving the energy and thanks to Mama Gaia, bury the crystal in the ground and ask Gaia to take this energy from your life and transform it anew.
8. And very importantly, release any expectations and place your trust in the fact that it is so!
I’d be honoured to hear more about your experience with this ritual – know that you can reach out anytime.